I remember when I first read about the concept of the long tail. It was in this review (of sorts) of the book:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/10/books/10manly.html?scp=2&sq=%22the%20long%20tail%22&st=cse
It makes sense, particularly for large distributors such as Amazon. More recently, Amazon began acting as a conduit for studios who outsource the burning of a DVD for you on demand, rather than spending money up front.
I loved the movie "Captain Sinbad" as a kid. I have it on VHS, but wanted to get it on DVD. Unfortunately, it has such a small potential market, that it was not re-released on DVD. Until now: I can have a copy burned through Amazon by request! The Long Tail lives! Here's info:
http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Sinbad-Guy-Williams/dp/B002B97QKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1274387499&sr=8-1
Meanwhile, at least one blogger believes the Long Tail is dead:
http://ideas.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/declaring-the-long-tail-dead/?scp=1&sq=%22the%20long%20tail%22&st=cse
I beg to differ.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm with you, the Long Tail lives! (Though I am willing to admit that, perhaps, people were a bit too optimistic about it.)
ReplyDeleteYour "Captain Sinbad" reference made me laugh but it did hit home the long tail idea to me. I can think of some people who would enjoy getting ahold of some older movies on DVD. Interesting thought and way to experience the Long Tail.
ReplyDelete