Tuesday, May 18, 2010

More on Web 2.0

I gave Twitter a try. I couldn't think of any valid reason to "tweet", however, and my account is more or less dormant. I don't get the attraction, and I can't think of anyone fascinating enough to follow that closely.

Facebook is another animal altogether. It can be extremely habit-forming. A friend refers to it as "Crackbook." I was very active on Facebook during 2009, but I've been less so this year, mainly due to time constraints. It's a great way to find people you've lost touch with over the years, and a good way to find like-minded individuals who share your obsessions.

3 comments:

  1. Like you I also signed up for a Twitter account that I don't really use. The reason I initially signed up was because of a special series of promotions being offered by a store that were exclusive to Twitter followers, but after the promotion was over, I stopped checking my Twitter account. I can't even remember my password or account name now!

    I'm also a huge fan of Facebook. For me, it's a great way to keep in touch with (and keep tabs on) friends and family. It helps save me from asking X how their relationship is going when they're no longer in a relationship and that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had same experience with Twitter. I set up a new account since mine was so long ago that I don't remember. It was when it first came out. I don't have time for facebook, but I use myfamily to stay connected to family all over the US

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about joining Twitter, but I still can't convince myself that it's something I'd actually benefit from. I already play on Facebook enough, and like you said, Bill, who could be fascinating in 140 words? But we'll see what happens...

    ReplyDelete